Sunday, July 5, 2009

I found Comfort in Texas*



Hey Ya'll! Hope everyone had a great 4th of July. We had a busy fun and food filled weekend with family that involved kicking off the 4th on the 3rd!

N's parents came into town Friday afternoon for a long weekend. They stopped by our apartment when they got into town and so began our weekend of all things food. (dudes, I am still full from all the food this weekend). To start we went to our favorite Mexican food restaurant in town, since N's parents had never been there. I love showing off our restaurant finds to people and love it even more when they enjoy it. Which I think they did :-)

After that the we all came back to our place and my MIL (gotta get her a name for this blog of mine) and I perused Ravelry for a good shawlette pattern for Bee, my sister-in-law. She's about to move to a chiller climate and is going to need some good warm handknits. She settled on a moebius shrug which is luverly! After that the in-laws headed out and we recharged for our evening of fun with the rest of the family and more food, of course. Man we eat, huh?

Anyhoo, we had a fun time with N's family and enjoyed a nice dinner of grilled burgers, veggies, and homemade vanilla ice cream. Oh the ice cream folks! It was a dream of fluffy, white, creamy goodness. Must buy ice cream maker....

Now for the real 4th of July festivities...the yarn store! My most favorite LYS in TX is The Tinsmith's Wife in Comfort, TX. I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating how comfortable, charming, and just plain nice it is. The selection is good and the atmosphere friendly. I love it! Probably a good thing it's not too close to where I live or else who knows that trouble I'd get into on a regular basis.

After spending some quality time in the LYS I managed to leave without a single purchase. I KNOW! Folks, I gotta watch the $$ and my yarn allowance is non-existent this month. Fortunately, I was able to live vicariously through my MIL who picked up the new Berocco booklet, Norah Gaughan Men and some hanks of Berroco's new Vintage Wool which is an acrylic/wool/nylon blend. My MIL is a self-proclaimed fiber snob (can't blame her for loving the good stuff) and is going out on a limb with this new yarn. It's got a nice feel and the color selection was A-MAZ-ING. Oh and the price wasn't bad either! I'm waiting to get her full review and I'll let you know what she thought.

From there we grabbed a bite to eat at one of the local eateries and enjoyed a nice leisurely afternoon with good food, fiber and conversation. Here are a few of the shots I snapped in Comfort.



























































After our afternoon excursion we headed back into town to recharge for dinner later that evening with N's grandparents. Dinner that night consisted of chicken, brisket, all the fixin's and for dessert...apple pie, mango tart, cherry crisp, ice cream, and ginger cookies. Wowie did we eat!

As you can imagine I am bursting at the seams today and exhausted from a great weekend. I hope you enjoyed yours with good family and friends.

Hasta Pronto!

*I got the title for today's post from a bumper sticker we saw in the cafe where we ate in Comfort, TX.

No comments: