Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy Birthday Big Guy

Dear Capone,

I met you 2 days after Asia came into my life. You were a black and brown ball of fur running around with your brothers and sisters. Your doggie momma was a big calm Boxer. We didn't meet your doggie dad, but we heard him on the other side of the fence. He was loud and unrelenting. In hindsight, that should have been our first clue as to your personality. You cried the whole way home.

You and I didn't get along at first. Compared to Asia's calm and sweet demeanor, I thought you were too loud, too energetic, and ill-behaved. The Tazmanian Devil was a saint compared to you.

Then N and I decided to get married. I don't think you took to well to two girls moving into your space. You made sure to show your dislike constantly by um...."marking" everything. In an effort to keep his new bride-to-be and impending marriage happy, N thought the best thing would be to adopt you out. It was that bad. N took you to our vet's office and dropped you off a few days before the wedding. He called afterwards and the tone in his voice broke my heart. (my stomach still turns at the thought)

Well, you weren't having any of that, so after two or so weeks of living at our vet's office I drove the hour and a half to pick you up. Nathan missed you, I missed you, and yes even Asia missed you. Thank God you were loud and obnoxious with the one potential family who considered adopting your crazy Boxer mug. They brought you back after one night.

As we drove back, just you and me, I think we must have made our peace. It was a calm happy drive home. I loved on you and you loved me back, no grudge on your part. You were going home, the home where you belonged.

You never "acted out" again. I have never thought of you as being to loud, too energetic and ill-behaved again. Ok, I'm lying about that part, but I just don't care about that anymore. It doesn't matter, it's what makes you you. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Birthday Mr. Capone. We love you and thanks for loving us...



No comments: