Saturday, September 12, 2009

Just talking out loud

This is an experiment...

You see, I use this space to share my love of food, craft, and photography. I've never used it as a place to share my more intimate thoughts. Lately however, I've had the desire to put my thoughts down on paper. The thing is I never get around to writing those things down. It's something I'd like to get better at doing. I think it's healthy, plus I always find it amusing to read what I've wrote in the past. So, I may try and do some of that here...

I don't know that I'll get "deep"too often, or at all for that matter, but you may find the occasional post about other things floating around in this mind of mine. For instance, today I've been lying around all day with some killer allergies. Allergies that make me want to take a frying pan to my face just to get some relief. (Too drastic?)

Anyhow, I've been watching one of my favorite television shows on Hulu. It's called Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie. It's a great show on food and the culture that surrounds food, something that fascinates me quite a bit and is near to my heart. Today, I've learned about master knife makers in Japan, a pig farmer in Australia who breeds a rare breed of pig, a renaissance vegetable farmer in France, and a man who crafts ceramic pots on a wheel that's been in his family for 4 generations.

This has got me thinking a lot about the food that we consume and that we buy. I realize that industrial grown food has it's advantages and that yes I reap from the efficiency and availability. But I can't ever seem to get away from the disconnect that has happened to attain those advantages. I'm not saying we need to stop doing what we're doing, but I wish we did it with some more thought and care for the land and people.

I guess I'm a bit of a romantic when it comes to certain things. I love the history behind craft in all forms, whether it's food, art, knitting, ceramic, heck even bike building (that's for N). To me there's something amazing about having a connection to those things. Knowing the hands that picked that just ripened peach, the hands that knit that sweater, the hands that built that beautiful bike that's more of a piece of art than machine.

I want to get closer to those hands. In some instance, I want to be those hands.

I'd like to make that more a part of my life. I guess I'm still trying to figure out how to do that exactly.

What about you?

Ok, that's about all I can muster for now. I suppose I may call these random ramblings or something along those lines.

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend and staying away from frying pans.

No comments: