Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Perfect Beret

Text from my best friend Jen about 3 weeks ago:

Jen: Can you make me another slouchy hat? I have a moth hole in the blue one :(

Me: Of course I can :-)

Jen: Yessssssssss!

Like I said, that was about 3 weeks ago and I finally managed to finish Jen's second hat. The first one I knit her, the "blue one", was Beret Gaufre (Rav link) and it didn't turn out that well. It wasn't exactly a beret. I sent it to her anyways and it ended up fitting her a bit big, but she wore it. She ended up liking the unplanned slouch and to borrow from Tim Gunn's words she "made it work".

So this time around, when she asked for another hat I wanted to find another beret pattern. She didn't ask for a beret, but it's what I wanted to knit for her. Don't ask me why. I dug through Ravelry and found the Perfect Beret. My yarn of choice, RYC Cashsoft DK in a brick red that my MIL gave me.



The pattern is as straightforward as they come and was an easy knit. The yarn was soft, light, and lovely. This second attempt at a beret, again, didn't turn out like a beret. But, it's more beret-ish than the first. She can wear it slouchy or tipped to the side for a more je ne sais quoi.



(this is my attempt at photographing myself in the mirror. It's slightly mannequin-like no?)
Pattern: The Perfect Beret
Yarn: RYC Cashsoft (1 skein)
Needles: size 3 and 6 circular

So what's next on the needles? Well, let's just say I have a husband who has been waiting patiently for a sweater for the past 2 years. Zoinks!


Hope you like your hat Jen!!


1 comment:

Christie said...

Very cute!
I know all about projects on the needles for years...speaking of which, I should get to seaming...