Sunday, June 13, 2010

Our Little Garden

This year N and I decided to try our hand at container gardening. I had dabbled a bit last year with a homemade upside down tomato planter, but didn't get much fruit. I also had 2 varieties of basil and those did well, but that was about it for my try at gardening.

This year we decided to try again and we went all out by planting 3 varieties of tomato (Patio, Brandywine, and Porter), red and green bell pepper, rosemary, and 2 varieties of basil. Yeah, we went a little overboard.

Last month I posted this picture:


Well, with some TLC our little garden has given us this:



Not only this, but our basil is doing really, really well. We've already made fresh pesto once and it was delicious! And, I haven't killed our rosemary plant :-) The last two I had ended up dying from powdery mildew. I'm guessing not enough sun and air circulation.

The photos pictured above are a variety called Patio Tomato which is specific for containers. Our Brandywine has been a little less productive in that it has produced quite a few buds but hasn't set fruit. It looks like we may have a couple of them setting, but we'll have to wait and see. The Porter we planted later, so it's only now growing flower buds. Again, we'll just have to wait and see!

So far, we're really pleased with our little experiment and hope to keep enjoying fresh goods!

No comments: